She Works Hard For the Mommy v. 14 Coach Brandy

Hey mamas! I’m coach Brandy. I am a seasoned mommy (that’s a nice way of saying old haha), and incredibly blessed to have a second career as a fitness and nutrition coach. Like you I’m juggling to keep all my priorities balanced and progressing. What’s special about me??  Maybe nothing other than I have a few years on you, and I have walked in your shoes at one time or another. I am a mom of two young men and two fur babies.  I am happily married to my complete opposite whose name just happens to rhyme with mine (so corny I know). I married an aviator who changed his career to medicine, so I’ve survived some particularly difficult seasons as a primary bread winner and solo parent. We are a Navy family, (you probably guessed that), which means we have had our share of deployments and natural disasters that always seemed to occur when hubs was gone lol.  The point of all that is that I get you!

It wasn’t until I turned 49 (omg… I said it), when mother nature is not so kind to women and, my self-confidence was lowest, that I discovered bodybuilding (the sport of clean eating), and the power of nutrition (which btw launched me into my second career as a nutrition coach).  I always controlled my weight through exercise and moderation which worked well for the first few decades of my life, but I quickly discovered I was missing a vital component of health and wellness; and that was the food I was feeding myself and my family! I also learned how important it is to take care of myself first, no matter how selfish that sounds. It took many years of crashing and burning to figure out that if I didn’t FUEL myself, then I would eventually unravel and that’s not pretty haha. I am such a better mom, wife and overall human being when I make myself a priority. Eating clean (and frequently) has helped my marriage, my parenting and my ability to handle life’s curve balls (like deployments).  If there was one piece of advice I could share to all the young moms out there, it would be to make yourself a priority, so you can be your best and take care of the rest of your family.  You can’t pour from an empty cup mamas! The benefits of good nutrition extend beyond just your waistline, and the weight resistance, my friends, is the anti-aging and calorie burning elixir.

I absolutely love helping people become their healthiest BEST. My mission is to help busy mamas fuel themselves and their families with clean, healthy meals that serve their goals.  Yes, you can do both at the same time! I’m a firm believer in the family dinner. I have learned to tweak and modify our favorite recipes so we all can enjoy them.

 I’m sharing an easy recipe that is a staple in my home.  It’s a batch recipe that is also kid friendly, budget friendly, macro-friendly, lactose free and is only 2 ingredients!  Whoa momma!  I hope you enjoy it.  If you would like to see more recipes like this or want some family dinner ideas, feel free to hop on over to my Instagram account @busymomnutrition.  I hope to see you there!

In health,

Brandy

Homemade Greek Yogurt 

This is the easiest two ingredient, NO-FAIL recipe.  It is a staple in my house and the flavor combinations are endless and makes the foundation for a perfect snack.  Each serving is 15g protein.  Pair this with a ¼-1/2 cup berries,1 Tbsp crushed pecans, hemp seeds or chia seeds and you’ve got a macro-balanced nutritious snack that will keep you fueled until your next meal.  You will need an instant pot with the yogurt setting, or alternatively, you can make it in a programmable slow cooker if you can set the temperature to 180℉.  The yogurt takes 8 hours for the cultures to multiply, so I recommend doing this before you go to bed.  Let it work while you sleep!

Here are a few of my favorite ways to flavor this creamy, lactose-free yogurt:

Cherry Chia Yogurt:

Follow Homemade Yogurt Recipe.  Chill for 2-3 hours.

Stir in 2 Tbsp tart cherry concentrate (I found this at Whole Foods)

Add a dropper full of liquid stevia (optional) – I used ….

In a saucepan, bring 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved to a simmer until the cherries have broken down a bit and released their juices.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 2 Tbsp chia seeds.  Let cool fully.  Gently fold Cherry Chia mixture into the yogurt.   


Pistachio Yogurt:


Follow Homemade Yogurt Recipe.  Chill 2-3 hours.

Stir in 1 box sugar free pistachio instant pudding mix

Garnish with 1 Tbsp each shelled pistachios and pomegranate seeds


Cheesecake Yogurt:

Stir in 1 box sugar free cheesecake instant pudding mix

Garnish with ½ banana slices and 1 Tbsp crushed walnuts or pecans


Roasted Blueberry Yogurt:

Follow Homemade Yogurt Recipe.  Chill 2-3 hours.

Preheat broiler to 350℉

Add 2 cups rinsed blueberries to a sheet pan

Broil approximately 5 minutes or until juices start leaking out of the berries.

Remove from broiler and let cool.

Stir into yogurt and garnish with lemon zest and your favorite