Hospital Bag Check List

I have seen lots of posts about what to bring to the hospital, but it seems like some people are packing to move into the hospital. With RT we spent two nights in the hospital once he was born, and with little R we only spent one. The less you pack, the less you'll have to bring home. The hospital is going to send you home with a ton of stuff, so you really don't need much. The first time I took way too much stuff, so this time I cut out a lot. Here's what I brought. (Another tip: keep the stuff in the car until you've actually been admitted. We had to carry everything in and then back out with RT.)
  • A robe/beach cover up - I did a LOT of walking to try and dilate faster with both boys. I have one that zips up the front so it's perfect for both before and after baby. 
  • Chapstick- because all that panting dries out your lips.
  • Snacks for when you're up at 3 am and don't want to leave the room. Throw a granola bar or two in your bag. 
  • Breast pump- So with RT I didn't bring my pump with me and the lactation consultant asked me for it so she could show me how to use it. I brought it with me this time, but we never used it. 
Image result for medela sonata
  • Toiletries - Nothing in the world feels better than a shower when you're gross. Some people bring their own soap and shampoo, but the hospital will provide it.  If you're picky- bring yours. Do bring your own toothpaste. I include flip flops in this to shower with and some good hair ties.
  • Big clothes - I think that people think that once you pop out that baby your body goes back to normal. Unfortunately, you'll still have a belly when you head out from the hospital. Packing maternity or bigger clothes will help make sure that you are comfortable heading home. Plus for me, that's all I've got that isn't in storage! 
  • Picture ID, money, cash for vending machine if you need it (our hospital had a snack room with some items and sodas), and an extra bag to carry home all the things the hospital gives you. 
  • Phone charger, phone charger, phone charger. The longest one you've got. 
For baby: 
  • Four onesies, including one for going home. He only wore the going home one. We should have left more at home. 
  • Small mittens to keep from him from scratching. 
Things to leave at home: 
  • Diapers, wipes, pacifiers, formula - the hospital will provide what you need. 
  • I have seen so many lists that include things like candles, massage oil, and bath items. I know that for some, this helps them, but I know I didn't have the time to use anything like this. Plus, I would think that unless you are in a birthing center, your doctor is going to want the lights all the way on so that they can see what's going on. 
  • Hats and blankets,;the hospital gave us both. 
  • Anything valuable. You never know y'all.

We left the hospital with diapers, wipes, swaddle blankets, a paci, a hat, sanitizing wipes, belly binding wrap, pads for me, squirt bottle, tucks pads, extra cold packs, and mesh underwear, the nose snot sucker bulb(has a better name but I can't remember it) and probably more. Remember that if it is your room, you're pretty much getting charged for it- so take it with you!