Babywearing of Hampton Roads

If you've been following this blog for a while, it's likely that you've seen pictures of this lovely mama Cayte and her two sons who are part of our tribe. (coincidentally she was featured in the most recent She Works Hard for the Mommy!
She and I have known each other since I was two. We had our first babies at the same time, and her second son is 9 months older than mine. She and I have been able pass things back and forth and have gone through all of the mom stuff together. It's indirectly thanks to her that I found myself at a babywearing meeting this past weekend. With RT I had a carrier, but didn't love it for the infant stage. Cayte came over and gave me her wrap which lead to a series of "what the heck. Do it again?!" texts while standing in the Tides stadium later that night. Honestly... these wraps can be confusing as hell. There are a million different kinds of wraps and carriers and they are all different. 

The mission of Babywearing of Hampton Roads is to promote babywearing as a universally accepted practice, with benefits for both child and caregiver, through education and support. They host monthly meetings and meet ups where they teach any attendees how to use the different kinds of wraps and have a lending program for members. Membership is $30.00 a year and you can use a different carrier each month. I love that this is a resource in our area for moms. If you're looking for some help or education, this group could be for you. They could also be for you if you're looking for some babywearing mom friends in the area. The meetings are free, and you can find their schedule on their facebook here. They move around to different locations around Hampton Roads.
I know that babywearing is seen as a "crunchy mom" thing. I went to the meeting not for the bonding or the benefits but the practicality. Having a toddler and a newborn makes things a little more complicated. I need to be able to have my hands free to chase RT, pick up toys, or hold dripping ice cream cones. But I would be lying if I didn't admit that having a little newborn snuggled up on me makes me feel great too.