Build Your Tribe

I have said time and time again that being a mama is the hardest job that I can think of. A few weeks ago, while Neil was out of town, his mother fell and broke her hip in front of my house. I happened to be out back and heard her screaming, but the boys were inside alone- baby screaming, RT standing in the doorway watching it all. In a moment of helplessness I had to tell his mom that I had to leave her there alone, laying on the ground, in the rain, while I ran inside to call 911. My mom was out of town. My closest neighbors were out of town. I literally went running banging on doors for help. I had to mobilize my village, near and far. How would I get through loss, broken hips, sick kids, oil changes, and everything in between without them? What would I do without this support network of mine? 

But lots of mothers have no village. We live in an area where people move a lot, and their families are often far. Neighborhood parties and get togethers are a thing of the past. "Room moms" and school communities are lacking. Paying babysitters, carpoolers, and dog walkers is expensive and feels impossible. So how do we build our villages? How do we take time from our lives which are already so busy, so hectic, so overwhelming, and build these villages up?  Making and keeping friendships as an adult is hard. Thinking about the people who I can truly depend on, most of them have been around since childhood. So how do we develop new friendships? Where do we meet these mamas? At playgrounds, the adults seem to be on their phones scrolling rather than talking to each other. So I'm throwing this challenge out to us all. Come to a TAT meet up. Put the phone away and talk to at least one other mama. Share one thing about you or your kid. Tell them one local place you love or one mom tip you can't live without.  This month we are meeting up at The Pink Roller on December 21st. We would love for you to join us!