Bumps to Babes: Birth Stories V:1

In talking to some of my favorite mamas at recent Fit4mom classes, I learned that so many mamas like reading birth stories. I knew I wanted to start this feature, but I wasn't sure where to start. But since I am excited to announce that our newest little guy has arrived, I figured I would start with myself!
This pregnancy was so incredibly different than my last. I was still sick, but for the most part I felt really good the whole time except for some pain around the left hip. I continued Zumba and moved from Body Back to Fit4Baby classes and tried to stay active chasing around RT. I worried (and still do!) about how in the world I was going to keep up with him with a newborn, but we still completed the Purple Stride 5k, traipsed around Busch Gardens, and adventured around everywhere else.
With RT I had what some refer to as a stalled pregnancy. I'd get regular, painful, and real contractions and then they would stop. I waited for three days to dilate enough to be admitted even after my doctor herself told me to head to the hospital after seeing me. Once I got the epidural, they told me that it would be a matter of hours, but RT still didn't come until the next night! Not this time! Neil and I checked into the ER at Leigh at 1 am, we walked the halls for two hours before they gave us the all clear to stay and by then I had dilated from 2.5 to 4.  We headed to our room, got the epidural settled quickly and took a few dozes.. That morning, they checked me at 8 cm and 12 minutes later, my water broke. When I called the nurse to tell her, she came rushing in, checked me, and told me we were ready. I literally said - "ready for what?!". RT had taken SO long that it didn't even occur to me that in that short amount of time we would be ready to push. The room flooded with people, nurses helped me do two rounds of pushing and his head was out. The doctor had to be grabbed from starting a C section down the hall for the final push- and he was out.


Turns out, the C section down the hall is a girl we know! We literally pushed her baby's birth out of line and the babies were born 36 minutes apart. Our nurses were great. The hospital was wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better experience.


Watching RT come in and meet his baby brother has been one of the highlights of my life. So far he has wanted to do everything with his little brother, hold him, feed him, look at his little fingers. Sometimes this is awesome and super helpful... other times not so much. But seeing him take pride in becoming a big brother has been amazing to watch. I was, and am, still so worried about how I can be a good mama to two boys, but I am so excited to see them grow and change together. I am so thankful to everyone who helped bring both of our little guys into the world to make our family complete!

Want to feature your own birth story? Send me an email!